5 Common Holiday Food Hazards For Your Pets

The most exciting part of the holidays for many people is the food. With Christmas and New Year’s Day quickly approaching, there will be plenty of delicious treats to enjoy with family and friends.

However, these holidays also pose a potential danger to your pet if you are not careful. part of the holiday season is getting together with friends and family. As you prepare for the upcoming Thanksgiving feast, here are some tips to keep your pet safe from holiday hazards:
Raisins And Grapes
These are two of the most common foods that can be toxic to dogs and cats. Ingestion of these fruits can lead to Kidney failure or can be fatal. It’s thought that the dried forms of grapes are the most dangerous to dogs and may cause more severe symptoms. While it is not clear which chemicals in grapes cause the problems, even a very small amount can make dogs quite ill.

It’s always wise to contact your veterinarian or go directly to an emergency veterinary clinic if you suspect that your dog has consumed these fruits.
Chocolate contains theobromine and caffeine, both of which are toxic to dogs. Dark chocolate is the most dangerous, but even white chocolate can cause problems. The amount of chocolate needed to make a dog ill varies depending on the type and size of the dog, but it’s always best to avoid giving your pet any form of chocolate. If you suspect that your pet has eaten chocolate and is showing symptoms like vomiting, diarrhea, weakness, or lethargy, you should contact your veterinarian immediately.
Garlic, Chives And Onions
This family of vegetables can cause Heinz body anemia in dogs, which is a type of hemolytic anemia. Hemolytic anemia occurs when the red blood cells are destroyed and released into the bloodstream before their normal lifespan has expired. This condition can cause symptoms like weakness, lethargy, rapid heartbeat, loss of appetite and abdominal pain. The severity of the symptoms depends on the amount and type of onion, garlic, or chive consumed.
Poultry Bones
Many families give their pet leftovers from holiday meals, usually chicken or turkey bones.
Cooked bones become brittle and are more likely to splinter when consumed by your pet. If a small piece of the bone gets lodged in your dog’s intestine, it can cause a life-threatening blockage. Because of this, it’s important to keep cooked bones out of reach. If you’re feeling generous and decide to give your pet some turkey, make sure it is skinless and without fat.
5. Fatty leftovers
Foods that are high in fat, such as fried chicken, can cause pancreatitis if eaten by dogs. Pancreatitis causes the pancreas to secrete enzymes that damage your pet’s intestines if enough of these foods are ingested. If you want to give your dog a treat, try veggies and fruits like canned pumpkin or apple slices.
Deer Creek Animal Hospital Is The Place To Be This Holiday Season!
At Deer Creek Animal Hospital, we treat our patients like family, and our friendly staff is always willing to go the extra mile for each furry companion. We provide complete veterinary services, grooming, boarding and daycare, and we are happy to care for your pet during this festive season.

Call Us Email Us